Wednesday, November 5, 2008

some random election thoughts

I, like most people I know, have friends who are today both rejoicing and mourning the results of yesterday's historic election.  Responses have ranged from a threat to move to Britain, to open happiness and real joy that change is coming.

Being fully aware of my age and not wanting to sound condescending on any level, I have been around the block once or twice.  I have seen some things one could say.  And the things that I have seen make me ready to simply encourage caution on both sides.  This is not say that I believe the end of the world is coming (we draw one day closer everyday, first Tuesday after the first Monday of November or not) or too many folks have drank the kool-aid.  Instead, I urge caution because I hear so much emphasis on the role of one man.

Friends, I want to share a quote with you from a pastor here in Ohio.

“Each time we come to this important crossroad in our nation’s history, we do well to thank God for His providential care and remind ourselves that "the Lord God Almighty reigns." Whatever the outcome, it will be important for us to remember that in a changing political climate, our unchanging biblical mandate remains - to declare the Good News and do good deeds, "..to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men." - Alistair Begg

So today let us remember to rejoice, not in the success or failure of one man or one political ideology but instead, let us rejoice in the might and glory of our God.

I have ran across a couple of blog posts I found interesting today, so feel free to follow the links.  You will not agree with everything that you find there (or here most likely) but I would simply encourage you to place your hope for change in the one actually controls eternity.

"1 My heart is steadfast, O God!
   I will sing and make melody with all my being!
2Awake, O harp and lyre!
   I will awake the dawn!
3I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the peoples;
   I will sing praises to you among the nations.
4For your steadfast love is great above the heavens;
   your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

 5Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
   Let your glory be over all the earth!
6 That your beloved ones may be delivered,
   give salvation by your right hand and answer me!" 

- Psalm 108:1-6

Those blog links as promised:

from John Piper - http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1478_grateful_for_almost_any_government/

from Eric Redmond - http://theologica.blogspot.com/2008/11/eric-redmond-living-soli-deo-gloria.html

from Donald Miller - http://donmilleris.com/2008/11/05/you-were-amazing/

peace friends,

j

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter